Sunday, March 20

WOULD YOU LIKE SOME TEASE WITH THAT ROLE?

Years ago I read a book called "Games People Play". I can barely remember anything from the book now. There was a part in there that talked about the various personas we take on. The book said there were only three and I think they were ‘Adult, Child and Teacher.' Anyone can be in any of these personas at any given time. Children go into adult and teacher roles at various times, while many adults live in their child role a lot.

Being in a child mode does not necessarily mean that you are immature, just like being in an adult mode does not make you more mature. It is just various roles that we all tend to function in.

We don't tend to consciously choose these roles. They just sort of happen and we can be jumping back and forth for hours and not even know it. It is only when you stop to think about it that you realize what mode you are in. In trying to explain all of this, I have slipped into a teaching role. What have I got to teach? Nothing, nadda, zilch, zip, zerro. I can't even remember the book but I thought it was interesting and something I might like to blog about.

If you sit back and watch people, you can often see them playing out their various roles. A young girl might want to impress a boy so she automatically goes into a type of child mode , he will automatically respond with the adult role. Then he might do something that ticks her off and she goes into adult role right away thinking he is so childish.

Why do we like hanging around with certain people more than others? Could it be because of the various roles? I like being around people who have a good balance of all of the roles at the proper times. Is the stuffed shirt, pain in the butt boss so used to being in the adult role that he never lets go? Is the happy go lucky guy, who doesn't seem to have a care in the world, just stuck in his child role?

To me, the teaching role, is when you get down to the nitty gritty of things. You look inside and learn about yourself and others. It also includes real teaching, like showing someone how to do something or stuff like that but the deep things in life come in the teaching role.

To me, the adult role is where I am in life. It's the regular day to day stuff like cooking, cleaning, etc. But I love slipping into my child role every once in awhile and just having fun.

To me, the child role is all about having fun. It is the person with a good sense of humour. They just seem happy all the time and they make others around them happy. They are not afraid to do spur of the moment things.

What causes us to change back and forth from one role to another? It seems to happen automatically without our thinking about it. Why do some seem more stuck in a role than others? The book claimed it was because of games we play with each other some how. I guess I should re-read the book.

Have a Balanced Day.

2 comments:

Darlene Schacht said...

I am usually in the child role. I think Dad is always in that role, it keeps him young. I often find that I let my friends open doors for me and do the driving and carry my stuff. Even really young people. Maybe I get it from being the baby in the family.

When I get mad I want to flip into the adult role and then it's not something I'm used to.

Anonymous said...

Id, Ego, and Superego...

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP