Wednesday, November 17

PEOPLE ARE WEIRD - At least I am.

This is from an older post I wrote in 2006 but I wanted to update it and see if I can get some other people sharing.  I do some (what I call) “weird” things and I wonder how many others have these same habits or similar type weird habits.  Many think they are alone in their “weirdness” but I am finding we all share this “weirdness” in some way or other.  I wonder what causes it.  Is it something we are born with, or do we develop these habits as we age?    

I’ll start with the age old question: When you eat your Smarties do you eat the red ones last?
I find myself sorting mine into piles of different colours.  Then I try to make even piles of the colours.  I put the odd numbers in a pile by themselves and eat those first.  I will eat one of each colour to make sure the piles stay even - and yes, the red are usually the last to go.  

I also do this with M & M’s, Jelly Beans or any other small candies that have a lot of colours.  Smarties seem to be the only instance where I keep the red ones till the end.  I wonder why?  Is it because the commercials have brain washed us?  (As a child I liked to lick the red ones and smear them on my lips to make lipstick.)  
 
Eating Potato chips is an adventure for me.  I can’t seem to just grab a handful out of the bag and eat them.  I have to go through this ritual of sorting them into sizes first.  Largest in one pile, medium in another, smaller in yet another, folded have their own pile, and last is all broken smallest pieces.  I eat the broken smallest pieces first and work my way up to the biggest chips at the end.  It is like I am rewarding myself with those nice large Potato chips.
 
I seem to be a person that likes to count things.  My favourite character on Sesame Street was the Count and I consider myself Mrs. Count.  It seems it doesn’t matter where I am, I find myself counting things.  It isn’t a conscience choice; I just catch myself doing it.  When we are driving a long distance I find myself counting cars that pass on the highway.  I’ve observed that cars seem to pass in groups of six at a time and then there will be a long space before another group of six appear.  It’s weird I tell you.  I wonder why that is?

I can understand why farmers will tend to have more advertising signs in their fields as you near a town or city but one farmer had a total of 20 signs in his field alone.  I think that is overkill.  Mind you maybe it is those advertising signs that help pay for his field. 

Another strange thing I seem to do is to buy things in groups of two when grocery shopping.  I like even numbers and I always want an extra “just in case”.  Three of an item seems too much and one not enough.  Certain things I will buy in fours if they are on sale - again there is that even number.  Things like ketchup and mustard are a few of the single items I buy.
 
As I’ve aged, I seem to get more of these strange foibles.  I have certain forks, knives and spoons that are my favourites.  I will search through the utensil drawer just to find my favourite, even going to the extreme of washing them if they are dirty so I don’t have to use a regular utensil.  I somehow feel deflated if I have to use a regular utensil and can’t use my “special” ones.  I have a few dishes that I re-act the same with.

When I pay for something with cash (doesn’t happen too often anymore) I find myself paying with bills even though I may have the correct amount of change. I have this thing about having a lot of change. When my bills run out, I may think I am broke till I begin to count my change.  Then I feel like I’ve won the Lottery when I see how the change adds up.

One of the things I’ve noticed is how people will sit with an empty seat between them and another person in a waiting room unless they come in with someone or know that person.  If I am sitting in a large area with lots of empty chairs and someone comes and sits right beside me, I feel uncomfortable.  Why can’t they find their “own space.” It is like we have this magic circle of protection around us and we don’t want people we don’t know in that circle unless it is necessary. 

Here are a few more of my foibles:
  • When I drink anything out of a cup I have to have a spoon in it.
  • If I drink something out of a can, I always have to shake the can at the end to make sure there is no liquid left or I sip till I don’t hear anything. 
  • When it comes to certain paper type products I seem to be “stingy”. 
  • I count the sheets of toilet paper I use. 
  • When using paper towelling, I will rip the sheet in half and sometimes even quarter size depending on what I need it for. 
  • I will reuse dryer sheets at least once. 
  • When jotting notes, I try to use the correct size paper.  I hate wasting a whole sheet for just a few lines. 
  • If a napkin only has a little part used, I will use that same napkin for something else -as a coaster under a drink, or to wipe up a spill, etc.
Now you know some of my deepest darkest secrets and you can see how REALLY WEIRD I am. I guess you already knew that before.
 
Here are a few habits that others were willing to share on the original post. (Names withheld to protect their identity)

Poster 1
  • I squish my can when I finish a drink.
  • I can't sit a drink down if there is a little pop on the top. I have to have a clean top.
  • I eat my ravioli in layers--one at a time.
  • I wipe my teeth all the time--in the car, shopping--everywhere. I use a tissue.
Poster 2
  • I have to have all of my movies in alphabetical order as well as my CDs.  
  • If there are items with a bunch of different colors, I always have to put them in the order of the rainbow.
  • I don't like to let anyone else help me when I am putting up my Christmas decorations because I like it just so...
  • I lick my ketchup chips before I eat them.
Poster 3
  • I sort my M&M's and eat them in order as well, one of each color until finished.
  • The sound of the microwave beep drives me nuts so I turn it off one second before it beeps.
  • I almost always use the back door into the office rather than the front door even though the front door is closer to the parking lot.
  • I can never hug someone just once; I’ve got to give that second little hug for good measure.
Poster 4
  • I bite my Smarties, and I make wishes on the green M&M's.
  • I eat the chocolate rim around a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup first and then the middle.
  • I never touch my food with my hands. I'm quite adept at it.
Poster 5
  • I like to read three books at a time.
  • My CD's are in alpha order, but my DVD's are just stacked up.
  • I have a big basket of beanie babies up on the hutch of my computer desk--I haven't touched them in a year or so.
  • I cannot bear to throw out a piece of paper that has something printed on it. I might need it some day. Same thing with odd bolts screws and nails.
  • M&M's – I can't eat them because of cholesterol.
  • Now I've said too much. IF you print this comment, be sure to save the paper.
Now it is your turn, come on now - Fess up!  Share some of your “weird” habits with the rest of us.  Just click on the pencil below the post to share your comments. 

Enjoy your “Weird” habits.  We all have some.

No comments:

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP