Friday, December 22

DEAR DIARY

So is blogging supposed to be easy or hard? I ask you? Is there some sort of rhyme or reason to this blog thing? If it is just like writing to a diary, o.k. I think I can do that. If it is to be smart and funny and grammatical and all that hog wash, then I am a no way hosea - kind of person.

So here goes.
(Quick word of warning - My diary entries were always very boring so read if you like or leave - all the same to me.)

Dear Diary.

Yesterday I went to have my regular doctors appointment. Woo Hoo, I lost another 6 pounds. I have been averaging about 2 pounds a month and this has been going on for some time now. I was so excited when I finally went under 200 pounds and now my next goal is 175. It doesn’t seem I have been doing anything out of the ordinary except babysitting so maybe that is what is helping. All the getting up and down and lifting and putting down is burning calories - YIPEEEEE!!!!

While I was in Gimli I decided to stop and have coffee with my daughter. That was enjoyable. Then I did some last minute shopping and came home and unloaded the car.

(Do you know that unloading the car is one of the things I hate doing the most since Val died. I guess I never realized how many loads he had to haul in all the time.)

So now I have all my preparations nearly done. Aren’t I a good girl?

Christmas is just 2 ½ days away. This year has been really special for me. I don’t know why but it is one of the first years I have really looked forward to Christmas. Usually I am a scrooge at Christmas time. Not that I am cheap - as I am exactly the opposite - it is just the whole thing gets me down and depressed usually. I don’t know why. Just never liked it, or birthdays or special family occasions of any kind.

So this year I started at the beginning of November and put up my tree and decorated my house. I really love it all. I am enjoying everything from top to bottom and will not be in a hurry to take it all down. (Maybe it is because I am seeing it all through my grandson’s eye)

I am also having Christmas dinner at my place this year. We haven’t done that in a few years. Usually I don’t look forward to it at all but this year it has been different again for some reason. I am enjoying it and really getting into making a feast for everyone.

I am really sorry I didn’t have this spirit when Val was alive.

I even went so far as to send out a few Christmas cards this year by snail mail. (Couldn’t afford the price of stamps so could only mail a few) Can you believe it? Haven’t done that in many many years.

It seems since the computer came along no one sends out Christmas cards anymore. I think it is a shame really. I can remember my mother and my aunt having competitions as to who got the most Christmas cards in the mail. Back then you could mail a Christmas card for about 1 cent each. My mom had over 100 cards one Christmas.

One thing at our house that I noticed. We were a very poor family and many times had to wait for Christmas or birthdays to get clothing that we needed. We didn’t get a whole lot of presents but we sure appreciated what we did get.

The thing was that mom and dad made Christmas the best part of the year. Mom would decorate the house from top to bottom. Dad would get a real tree and we would all decorate it with mostly home made stuff.

Mom would go all out in cooking and baking. She would make hundreds of goodies for Christmas. Where she got the money to bake all that stuff, I will never know but you can be sure we had tons of stuff to eat and that wasn’t even including the Christmas dinner.

Many times dad would make us our Christmas presents. I remember one year he made us all doll beds and we got little dolls for Christmas. Each crib was hand made with our names on it.

Christmas mornings we would be up about 5:30 in the morning trying to wait for our parents to get up. Then we would go crazy unwrapping presents.

Thanks Mom and Dad for some of the loveliest Christmas’s ever.

Well diary, I guess that is about it for today. Hope you have a great weekend.

1 comment:

Darlene Schacht said...

I find it's easier to write to my diary than it is to write to the world.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP