Saturday, January 28

TO TATTLE OR NOT TO TATTLE? THAT IS THE QUESTION.

It was a normal walk to school and on my way I saw Tom and Dick playing in the concrete blocks. Never thought much about it till the teacher took "Roll Call" and the boys weren't there. I lifted my hand and mentioned that I saw them playing in the concrete blocks on my way to school.

Next day on my way home from school I met Tom and Dick. One of them held a pocket knife to my throat. That was when I had my first lesson on Tattling. I was told never to tattle on them again or I would be in big trouble.

What did I know of Tattling? I was only in grade two and didn't even know what that mean yet. It was a scarey experience and I don't know if I ever told anyone about it till now.

I do remember another time, prior to the above event, where I told the teacher on one of my cousins. He had made fun of me over something and I Tattled on him. I felt so bad for doing it as he got in trouble and no amount of apologizing to him could ease my pain at his discomfort.

We all know we are not to Tattle on others. As Christians, how far do we take that? If we know someone is involved in illegal doings, should we tell on them? Would this be "Loving your neighbour as yourself, or doing unto others as you would have them do unto you"?

Do we only tattle if it is a life threatening situation or involves children. How do we know when we should speak up and not be known as the neighbourhood busy body. Would tattling give a bad name to our witness to Christ?

I am curious as to your opinions on this. I eagerly await your responses.

4 comments:

Patty-Jo said...

Telling the teacher where the boys were was just being helpful on your part, and telling on someone who is abusing you is always the right thing to do. Decifering all that as a child is near impossible.

When I was little an older cousin touched me in an inapropriate way. I told my parents, and of course they told his parents. My father blamed me for being alone with him, and his father beat him, and for long time I thought it was my fault.

Of course as an adult I understand that my cousin was wrong for touching me, and his father was wrong for beating him, and my father is an idiot.

When not to tell? If you're just being malicious, and trying to get someone in trouble, or if you're repeating gossip, (or starting it).

This is how my sister explained it to her daughter. "If your brother is about to burn the house down, tell. If he's wiping boogers on the furniture, mind your own business." I think that summed it up rather nicely.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry that~ that happened to you. At first I thot you were telling somebody else's story. I love you so much and treasure the bits and pieces of your life that you share

Pam said...

Interesting topic. When we are young it is "Tommy looked at me funny." When we get older it is a whole nother situation. At this stage of my life, and being who I am...I base it on whether I should get involved by what being involved can accomplish. Will it better someone's life? Will it change anything? Or will it be a total waste of energy and effort. If someone were involved in a life threatening situation I probably wouldn't "tattle" until I had first tried to intervene, but that id more due to the line of work I was in for 16 yrs. Case by case for me on this topic.

Anonymous said...

What I tell the kids at school is.
are you trying to help someone or self or get someone in trouble.
Helping always tell
Trouble just tattling.

About This Blog

Lorem Ipsum

  © Blogger templates Shiny by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP